Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Early Dec on the Green!

Well its a long time passed, but on my home from FL for the winter break, I met up with some friends for my 8th trip down the mighty Green River Narrows. I was without a creekboat, so my friend (thanks B) brought me a Nomad 8.1 for the day. Let me tell you I had my heart set on a Jefe, but after paddling the Nomad, I'm not really sure anymore. The boat is really fast, and handled the low water green (6-7 inches that day) really well. I used to paddle a M Burn, and every time I hit a rock all hell broke lose. Well thats a little melodramatic, but it did not handle the rocks well. The only thing that I didn't particularly like was the way it handled holes. In the video, you will see what happens when I hit the top hole at Zwicks (I get pushed hard left and have to try to recover) and when I hit the hole at the bottom of the first part Nices' Pieces (I get pushed hard right into the big rock). Most of this should be attributed to my lack of skills. But still, the bow seemed to get pushed around really easily by holes. But none the less I loved the boat.
I wanted to do something a little different with the video I took. First off, all of the headcam videos you see of me over in the right hand column are taken with a Go Pro Hero III Digital Camera. These things are AWESOME for the price (You do need to add a 2 gig SD card tho). I just strap it right to my FNA full facemask. Anyways, the video is split into 2 parts. Part one runs from Frankenstein to above Go Left and Die. The second part runs from Go Left to below Rapid Transit. Unfortunately that was all the battery life I had that day (MY FAULT NOT THE CAMERAS). We left the video pretty much unedited. The reason we did this is because I remember before I ever paddled the green, watching all the video of all the big rapids, I really did not get a feel for the pace of the river. I really did not know what to expect. This video shows the pace of the river really well, so all of you have never paddled it can really get a good idea of what it is like. All the small rapids between Frank and Transit are included, and because nobody in our crew ran Gorilla, it is excluded. Sucks that the quality is so low. The original quality is actually quite high, which is why I love the camera so much. Many thanks to Dave for editing.

Peace
Toby

By the way, the videos are in the column on the right. Top video is Part 2, Second to top is Part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment