Friday, February 22, 2008

High water on the Yellow

Over the last couple days Georgia got dumped on pretty good from several waves of rain. The result, high water in metro Atlanta. After seeing a post on BoaterTalk a few days ago about the Yellow River, and seeing the gauge on AW at 1600cfs I decided to go check it out. I met up with Alex (posted on BT) and we headed down to the river. It was my first time there, but Alex said the water was higher than he'd ever seen it. It sure looked high (and brown) to me. We did a little scouting, as there were some pretty big holes to contend with, and put on. We didn't do the complete section, but from Annistown Falls down. Here's the pics.








Annistown Falls




Some pushy water under the bridge



Stay right!




Alex coming past the bridge






Alex punching through at the bottom



The next shot shows the bottom hole, it would almost definitely feed you right into the massive strainer if you swam out of it.

After Annistown and past the bridge there was some class II-III boogey with pretty nice waves and holes that made me wish I had my playboat. In fact I think I'll load it up and head back tomorrow. This also makes me want to explore the metro ATL area a little more. The only thing that would turn me away is the water quality, but its closer than TN or NC. Anyways, I'm tired.

Later,

-David

No comments:

Post a Comment